November 18, 2015

World Series Champions!

I kind of ruined the build up of this post with the title but, if you didn't know that outcome you clearly don't know me at all!

2014 was a stellar year for the Royals but it was also pretty unexpected.  The whole city started the 2015 season with bigger expectations (even if all of the "experts" thought we wouldn't even make it to the postseason at all).  Well, our boys in blue proved that we were not a fluke (I say "we" because I was, obviously, a critical part of the success).

 Brody looking handsome in some new Royals gear (at G&G's farm so mama could go to a game)

For some reason, this photo just makes me smile.  When they laugh at each other, my heart swells.

I was lucky enough to go to FOUR postseason games!

I made it to the very first one with my sister, BFF (for 27 years!), and her husband.  
ALDS Game 1 vs. Houston Astros.  WE. WERE. PUMPED!


 And then there was a rain delay.  Let's just say, rain delays get expensive when you have a DD.



 And then they lost.

 Whatever.  We still had faith.  I surprised my mama with tickets for the game the next day.  She is a huge fan... even planning to go to spring training next year!  ALDS game 2... Big "W" in the books!  



We were able to witness the Royals win the ALDS in game five vs the Astros!  Joe and I had seats together and just happen to run into my cousin and her husband that were seated close to us.  My mom and sister were also at the game so we got this picture together.


We had amazing seats through some family for ALCS game 2.   We were right behind Toronto's dugout so there were quite a few Blue Jay's fans around us.  My dad was a tad worried that I was going to be hit by a foul ball.... and then it happened to the kid about three people away from me.  Line drive to the forehead (you can actually see him in this picture).  He was fine and I stayed very focused on the game!  
It was a bit of a slow game where we were scoreless until the 7th.  Toronto made a pretty important error and IT WAS ON.  We came back and won 6-3!


That was it for Postseason games for us! Merry Christmas :)

We invited my family over to watch (what ended up being) the final World Series game!  Those Mets... they just had no idea what was coming.  We were down by 2 until the 9th.  We tied it up and in true Royals fashion, we won in the 12th when we scored 5 runs! Comeback kids!!!



Kansas City completely shut down for the WS Parade.  It was insane.  Almost every school closed, businesses closed, people were just parking on the side of the highway, walking MILES.  Everyone wanted to celebrate!  800,000 people came out to watch.  Keep in mind our metro population is only about 2 million.  I was so proud of the people, there were only three arrests.  It was very impressive because after it was over some serious patience was tested getting back out of the city. 

I went with my sister and her kids.  My kiddos were in school (sorry kids... but I wouldn't have ventured this with you).   She had a parking garage available at her office so we just had to walk a few blocks.  We were at the beginning of the parade so we didn't have any traffic issues getting home. 

We spent about 2 hours just standing there saving a space.  We had a pretty good spot, standing on a raised planter so we had a decent view a little bit above people.  A few people tested my patience.... I just can't imagine thinking you are entitled to squeeze in front of me when you are easily 15 inches taller than me... then you put a kid on your shoulders! But whatever.  It was still worth it :)


  Just a few of my favorites... the HOZ!
 MOOOOOOOOOSE...
 Ben Z & Fam :)
 MVP SALVY!!!!
And the manager... YOST!

A hilarious finale were these city crews.  I actually think they were having the most fun of anyone in the parade.  Honkin', hootin', and hollerin'.  I am pretty sure this made their year.

On to 2016!  If Joe was home a little more... partial season tickets would be pretty tempting!

No comments: