September 8, 2009

San Francisco & Monterey

For Labor Day 2009 we visited Joe's sister in San Francisco. Joe was already there for work and I met him there for a long weekend. He picked me up from the airport and we went straight to a lookout point near Sausalito (it was VERY windy)...


After that we headed down to Sausalito to walk around, check out the town, and have a drink. I don't have any pictures... whoops!


In the morning we went to Shelly's house for breakfast and then drove to Monterey. We had lunch and then went straight to the Monterey Aquarium. It was insanely busy (the Saturday of a holiday weekend) but it was still full of great exhibits. Some of my favorites were...


Jellyfish! Oddly mesmerizing to watch....


The seahorses were crazy. They had so many different types that I didn't know existed.
These looked like leaves...


That evening we drove down to Carmel along the "17-mile drive." The drive consisted of great views, fancy houses, and plenty of places to stop and share a bottle of wine!
Joe & I...

Justin, Shelly, Joe, and I....

In the morning we went on a whale watching trip. It took awhile to find the whales but, we ended up seeing 2 different pairs of Blue Whales (the largest type of whale) and one pair of Humpback Whales! That is SIX whales along with lots of other sea lions, sea otters, and birds. It was a great trip but, a little hard to photograph.
Pelicans...
Sea Lions...
Blue Whales ...
Humpback tail...

1 comment:

The Nielsens said...

Darren and I have been to all those places a number of times! We never get tired of going there. In fact, if we had the money and desire to move that far away from family, I swear we would live there! LOVE IT!